Episode #1 – Money & Happiness with Brian Portnoy
Today’s show is co-hosted by my colleague, Stig Brodersen, from the popular podcast, We Study Billionaires. Stig and I talk with Brian Portnoy, the director of Education at Magnetar Capital, a $13 Billion hedge fund and the author of The Geometry of Wealth: How to Shape a Life of Money and Meaning. Brian explores the role of money in a happy life.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- The role of meaning in a happy life
- The difference between experienced happiness and reflective happiness
- What changes when you reach, roughly, $75,000 in annual income
- How to avoid the hedonic treadmill
- How to underwrite a meaningful life
- What is funded contentment, and how can we apply it to our lives
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Brian Portnoy’s The Geometry of Wealth: How to Shape a Life of Money & Meaning
- Brian Portnoy’s The Investors Paradox: The Power of Simplicity in a World of Overwhelming Choice
- Angus Deaton and Daniel Kahneman’s High income improves evaluation of life but not emotional well-being
- Brian Portnoy’s Website: Shaping Wealth
- Capital One.This is Banking Reimagined.
CONNECT WITH BRIAN PORTNOY
- Brian’s Twitter Account
- Brian’s LinkedIn Account
GET IN TOUCH WITH SEAN MURRAY
- Sean’s Twitter Account
- Sean’s LinkedIn Account
- Email: Sean@TheInvestorsPodcast.com
- Website: RealTime Performance, Inc.
- Weekly Newsletter: RealTime Performance Newsletter