Episode 11 – The Odyssey with Daniel Mendelsohn
On today’s show, I talk with Daniel Mendelsohn, Professor of Classics at Bard College and the author of “An Odyssey: A Father, a son and an Epic.” Mendelsohn has a very unique and personal story about his experience teaching the Odyssey. In 2011, his eighty-one year old father enrolled in his seminar course about the Odyseey, which initiates a father-son adventure that is both emotionally and intellectually stunning. In this episode we talk about how the Odyssey has the power to reveal hidden truths about ourselves and offers ancient advice and wisdom on how to live the good life.
What You’ll Learn:
- What is the Odyssey and why is it still relevant today?
- What does the Odyssey have to teach us about life, family, relationships?
- What is the nature of identity?
- How do we truly know someone?
- What is the role of storytelling in the Good Life?
- What can we learn about ourselves and others by reading the Odyssey?
Books & Resources
An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and an Epic by Daniel Mendelsohn
Connect with Daniel Mendelsohn
Connect with Sean Murray