Episode 40 – Unplugging One Day per Week with Tiffany Shlain
On today’s show, Sean’s guest is a filmmaker and writer, Tiffany Shlain. Tiffany is the author of the book “24/6: The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week.” In our conversation, we address a number of questions many of us have been grappling with for a long time – questions that go to the heart of what it means to live a flourishing human life.
Ten years ago, Tiffany and her husband started taking one day off each week and unplugging. They put their devices away, no iPhones, no laptops, no screens of any kind. They refer to this as their digital Shabbat (or Sabbath). This practice has profoundly affected Tiffany’s life, relationships, memories, work, mindset, even her attitude toward technology.
What You’ll Learn:
- What a typical digital Shabbat look like
- The wisdom embedded in the ancient Jewish tradition of the Sabbath going back 3,000 years
- The dangers and addictions of technology
- How to overcome the most common excuses for not practicing a “tech Shabbat”
- Why taking a day off from technology makes us more productive
- How unplugging improves sleep, creativity, gratitude, and memories
- How constraints lead to freedom
- The wise answer provided by Tiffany’s father on his death bed when she asked him “what is the meaning of life?”
Books & Resources
Connect with Tiffany Shlain
Connect with Sean Murray