Episode 55 – Stoicism with William Irvine (replay)
This episode is a replay of one of the most popular episodes from last year. The guest is William B. Irvine, professor of philosophy at Wright State University and the author of A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy and more recently, The Stoic Challenge: A Philosopher’s Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer and More Resilient.
Professor Irvine has taken the ancient philosophy of Stoicism out of the classroom and adopted it as his philosophy of life. He shares his experience practicing Stoicism and how it’s helping him move a little closer to the Good Life.
What You’ll Learn
- The importance of finding a Philosophy of Life
- Why Stoicism works for Professor Irvine, and why it might work for you to
- The dangers of the default philosophy of life in Western World: Enlightened Hedonism
- How Stoicism helps avoid Hedonic Adaptation
- How to maintain tranquility and peace of mind
- How to become more resilient
Books & Resources
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William B. Irvine
Connect with William Irvine
Connect with Sean Murray